World of Warcraft is a massively multiplayer online role playing game (MMORPG) based in the fantasy world of Azeroth and has been enjoyed by more than 11.5 million players (as of December 2008) around the world, since its initial release in November 2004.
Players in World of Warcraft, assume the roles of Warcraft heroes, as they explore, adventure and quest across a vast virtual world. Within that virtual world, they can interact by banding together or fighting against one another in epic battles.
World of Warcraft
The setting for the initial release of World of Warcraft is four years after the events of Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos. A great tension now smolders throughout the ravaged land of Azeroth, and as the battle-worn races begin to rebuild their shattered kingdoms, new threats, both ancient and ominous, arise to plague the world once more.
The initial release of World of Warcraft provided players with the opportunity to do the following:
- Explore an expansive world, made up of forests, deserts, snow-blown mountains, and other exotic lands – and filled with dungeons of varying styles and depths
- Create unique characters from 8 playable races (Dwarves, Gnomes, Humans, Night Elves, Orcs, Tauren, Trolls and Undead)
- Select from 9 classes(Druid, Hunter, Mage, Paladin, Priest, Rogue, Shaman, Warlock and Warrior) and advance their characters from level 1 through 60
- Interact with familiar characters and monsters from previous Warcraft games as well as many new ones
- Explore 6 huge capital cities that serve as hubs for the races inhabiting them
- Practice multiple professions to create and enhance items, and acquire wealth through trading
- Share the experience with other like-minded players by joining a guild, or creating your own!
- Enjoy hundreds of hours of gameplay with new quests, items and adventures every month
- And much, much more…
World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade
The Burning Crusade was the 1st expansion released for World of Warcraft in January 2007. It is set several years after the Burning Legion’s defeat at Mount Hyjal and the races of Azeroth are continuing to try and rebuild their shattered lives. With renewed strength, the heroes of the Horde and the Alliance have begun to explore new lands and have broken through the Dark Portal to investigate the realms beyond the known world.
The Burning Crusade adds a host of new content to the existing world for players, including:
- 2 new playable races (Blood Elves and Drenai) and the opportunity to advance characters to level 70
- The entire new continent of Outland, reached through the Dark Portal
- Many new dungeons, monsters and epic world bosses
- Hundreds of new quests and items
- An arena based Player vs Player ladder system
- A new battleground: Eye of the Storm
- And much, much more…
World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King
Wrath of the Lich King is the latest expansion for World of Warcraft, and was released in November 2008. The Lich King Arthas has set events in motion that could lead to the extinction of all life on Azeroth. Armies of undead and the necromantic powers of the plague threaten to sweep across the land. Mighty heroes must emerge to oppose the Lich King’s will and end his reign of terror for all time.
Wrath of the Lich King adds a host of new content to the existing world for players, including:
- The 1st hero class (Death Knight) and the opportunity to advance characters to level 80
- The harsh new continent of Northrend, the icy domain of the Lich King
- Epic siege warfare – allowing mighty siege engines to lay waste to destructible buildings
- New character-customizations to transform your hero’s appearance
- New dungeons, filled with deadly creatures and fantastic treasures
- And as always – much, much more